The History of Coppull and Standish Brass Band

The history of the band dates back to 1873, when it was formed as a village band by the name of Crooke Band. Crooke is a small village about 2.5 miles to the northeast of Wigan.

This band continued to flourish successfully, with children following in their parents and grandparents footsteps, until 1939, when with the outbreak of war, enforced military service decimated the membership of all of Wigans brass bands.

After the war, the then National Coal Board promoted colliery bands and supported through the Coal Industries Social and Welfare Organisation (CISWO). Thus Crooke Band was reformed as Crooke Miners Welfare Band in 1950 when youngsters where recruited into the band, instruments, tuition and uniforms where provided.

As Wigan Collieries closed down, the Band again changed names to Kirkless (NCB) Band (date unknown) and moved location to Kirkless NCB workshops in Aspull, Wigan. The band remained at the workshops until its closure in 1985, when for an 18 month period it was given a home by St Williams Church, Ince where it occupied a classroom in the old St Williams school.

In 1987, due to the necessary demolition of the old school, Kirkless Band had once to "up sticks" and find a new home. Aspull Methodist Church came to the rescue with the offer of a room attached to the old chapel. Around the same time a sponsor was found and Kirkless (NCB) Band became Quaker House Colliery Band.

Quaker House Colliery was a privately owned mine at Windy Arbour (near Billinge), although the band remained in residence at Aspull.

In 1990, the mine closed and with it went the sponsorship. The imminent rebuilding of the Methodist Chapel also meant that the band again needed a new home.

A room above St Wilfreds Parish Club, Standish, became the next bandroom, and with the move, yet another name change. Standish Band came into being.

The band remained in Standish for 14 years again putting down roots as a community based band. The band again flourished with an increased playing and non-playing membership and in 1995 where awarded a National Lottery grant, which enabled the purchase a new set of instruments, and vehicle.

The band once again moved premises, to Standish Community High School, when in 1999 St Wilfreds Club was demolished.

In 2002 the school had to re-organise its teaching space and unfortunately while we were offered a band room, the amount of instruments, equipment and music collected over the years proved too much for the limited storage, and for 10 months we were lucky in finding room at the Standish Unity Club.

In October 2003, Standish Cricket Club became our 6th home in 16 years and would prove a tremendous boost to the band both musically and socially.

During the 10 months we resided at the cricket club, the band achieved its greatest its longest held ambition by qualifying, in March 2004, for the the National Finals to be held at the International Conference Centre in Harrogate.

At the end of July 2004 our latest home became the purpose built band room of the Coppull Band our home hopefully for many years to come.

In January 2005 Standish Band officially merged with Coppull Subscription Band to form the Coppull and Standish Band. In this way we will be able to keep the traditions of both Coppull Band and Standish Band (throughout its many identities) alive and playing.

The Band is now flourishing and while we only have vacancies for a cornet and kit player at the moment ... we always welcome new members or anyone who fancies popping along to make a little music in a friendly environment.